Our Life

The Adventures of Mike and Kelly At Sea

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Journey North to Canada

Our lives have become defined by extremes! One week we're in the tropics sailing, swimming, and fishing and the next we're shivering our butts off up in Canada as we help a friend restore his sailboat Maiatla. We left Mexico and stopped over in San Francisco to see our boat Isabella on the hard. Unfortunately, she had a bad few months on the hard and needs a lot of work. Feeling depressed about the boat and having left the tropics, we made tracks to Nanaimo, BC in hopes that our spirits would be renewed.

Andy and Janet have been living aboard their 44' sailboat for 10 years. They travelled from Canada to the Sea of Cortez, across to Hawaii, and back to Canada. Mike met them a few years ago in Hawaii and was inspired by their lifestyle and energy. They raised their two children, Thomas and Melissa, primarly aboard Maiatla. To read more about their adventures, check out Andrew Gunson's book The Voyage of the Maiatla with The Naked Canadian.

The family warmly welcomed us to their home in Nanaimo; a place on land they have chosen to stay while restoring Maiatla. Our spirits were instantly revived with their humor and hospitality. Although we're a bit chilly, its hard not to smile as we are entertained by their stories of their adventures. We plan on helping them out for a few more weeks before we head back to Isabella and begin our major refit. Fortunately, I'm getting excellent practice at sanding and varnishing because I have my work cut out for me on Isabella!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything is starting to work out. How are you liking BC? Now that summer is rolling around, it should be more enjoyable. Send some maple syrup; we're all out =(.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I would be a worried wreck trying to raise kids on a sailboat. Major kudos for those that did! Couple that with my fear of sharks and I am sure I would end up with a boat out of that movie waterworld just to feel safe :)

    Hope life is well sis, give me a shout sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected. Didn't see this entry before. If you and Mike come through Kemah, look me up. Leslie and I will treat you to dinner and drinks. It was awesome meeting you two in Isla. It sounds like you are in the ultimate dream job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kelly! What an adventure! I have linked up to your blog now so that I can keep up better. :) I hope that you are well!

    ReplyDelete